Tuesday, September 04, 2012

New School Uniforms

Back to school time is an exciting time in any culture and here in Burkina it is especially exciting. Only about 1 in 5 children here get to go to school so for those that do get sent to school, it is a privilege and they LOVE school.

This past Saturday the director of our primary school called all of the children to come to school and to be measured for new school uniforms. Our uniforms this year will be the same as last year, navy pants and skirts, and pink check shirts.

The tailor was called and it was arranged for him to come at 8:00 to start measuring the children.

As I was preparing my first cup of coffee for the morning at 6:30, I heard children in the courtyard. I looked out my door to see 30 or 40 children already at school waiting to get measured for their uniforms.

Ah, the excitement of ‘back to school’ is one of the many things that I love about Burkina.


1 comment:

Ann Mosley said...

This is exactly what these kids need! Education shouldn't be about books and notes only, decent clothing also can inspire to study harder. I'm sure they appreciate it. Students here don't always understand its importance. Of course, it's ok to use high-level custom writing support but developing your own skills is essential. Education is the key to successful future and it's great that you help these kids reach it. Studying is hard and any kind of support can be crucial. I really hope bright future is awaits these children.