Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Hello Family and Friends!
I am so happy to tell you that I am completely recovered and back to my usual ornery self. :o) The final diagnosis was a bacterial intestinal infection and we’re assuming that the fever was the cause of the pain and swelling in my joints. Everything is strange here but all of the symptoms are gone and my strength is back and I am thankful for this.
We are continuing to work through the container and are probably about half-way through now. So many wonderful treasures and gifts that were lovingly sorted, packed and sent to us! Several people sent us microwave noodle and rice packets. And, do you know what? Just 2 weeks ago a microwave was given to us by a missionary family who are leaving Burkina! Now, the container was packed in August, 2005 and arrived here in May, 2006. Is it just chance that people thought to send us microwave dishes and food or did our Father know what was coming and prepared everything for us? I prefer to believe the second choice and am amazed at the detail of His care for us.
Our little baby, Grace, who is in Ouaga in a neo-natal facility is doing well. She has gained 400 grams, almost a pound, in one month. The head nurse said that she can be released when she reaches 2 kilos. If she continues to do well and to gain at the rate she is now, she could be released in just 2 or 3 weeks. I’ve been trying to figure out how to include photos in my blog but have not yet mastered that part of the technology. I have a cute, cute photo of Grace that I would like to show you.
The construction of our staff house is almost finished. The contractor has said that we will be able to move in by June 15th. We are very anxious for this, of course. Since the orphanage opened I have been sleeping in one of the rooms in the orphanage. On one side of my room is the newborn baby room where there are 7 babies and on my other side is the 6 to 12 month room where there are also 7 babies. And, as you know babies cry during the night. Our staff house is in the orphanage compound but we will be on the other side of the compound and I am looking forward to a measure of privacy and quiet.
We have six bedrooms in the staff house. Mark and Connie will be occupying one and I will have one other. That leaves us four rooms to receive friends and visitors. So, if accommodations were holding you back from making your reservations, please don’t wait any longer because we now have a place for you. :o)
The rains are a bit slow in starting this year. We have had one average rain but the ground was so dry that the very next day all of the moisture was gone. But, this is the time of year where families are beginning to prepare their fields for planting. We have asked for 2 fields this year in an area about one mile from the orphanage. If we are given use of this land, we will plant a field of millet and a field of peanuts this year.
The plans for opening the school are progressing quickly. This month we will be interviewing and hiring teachers. A group of five students in France have been raising money for school books for some of our older children and they will be sending these to us in July.
Thank you so much for all your support. . . prayers, letters, packages, e-mails, telephone calls and financial support. The work here is a labor of love from the heart of our Father and you are partners in everything that we do.
With lots of love,
Ruth. . . Mom. . . Grandma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Mom! I'm amazed, yet oddly not that surprised. You were a programer in your past life! This looks great and I think it will be a lot of fun! I love you!